My birthday, historically, comes with fraughtness after fraughtness, with the now-added bonus of serving as the official end to my summer. But this year’s birthday is shaping up to just be a random day. This year, my birthday falls in the middle of an imperfect scheduling storm. Nothing special happening, because most of the special people are busy or out of town.
Last year, I requested that for my birthday, people spend time doing one thing they really loved but never made time for, and to compliment someone they’ve been meaning to praise.
This year, my request is a bit bolder.
- Call an elected official about an issue that troubles you. (If you don’t have any possible ideas as to what could trouble you, hmu and I will offer some suggestions).
- Put your elected officials’ phone numbers in your phone. Local or national level, I don’t care.
- Donate to a charity. Not sure which one? Charity Navigator can help.
- Donate to a political campaign–but only after you visit the candidate’s website and verify s/he aligns with your values.
- Subscribe to a local newspaper. So many of them have great introductory online offers, even!
- Do something kind for someone else.
If you are so inclined to send me birthday wishes, let me know what you did! And because I’m not always a fan of “shout it from the rooftops” when it comes to doing nice things or being civically engaged, DM/PM/TM/email/carrier pigeon are all acceptable forms of communication. It would be great to hear from you.